Laptop Recommendations

Thomas Sprinkmeier sprinkmeier at fastmail.com
Wed Nov 29 14:30:02 CST 2017

On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 08:29:18 +1000
Piers Rowan <piers.rowan at recruitonline.com.au> wrote:

> I recently posted out fixing a Macbook Pro. So far it over heats, has
> bad RAM and the disk is hosed. I am thinking it is toa$t.
>
> I am keen to hear about other people's recommendations for laptops.

I've been running (mostly) debian on Thinkpads.

Everything works (except maybe the fingerprint scanner, haven't bothered
with that 'cos I don't want it).
Earlier models have a physical switch to disable network, sadly missing
in the later models (though the hostkeys work for me).

> What I would like is:
>
> - *everything* works with Linux
check
> - Really good keyboard
not bad, got a docking station with a 'real' keyboard for heavy use
> - Good battery life
6+ hours, depending on use. The X260 has an internal battery so you
can hot-swap the other battery with a spare.
> - 8GB RAM + SSD (I have a brand new SSD I can swap in so that isn't
> an issue).
16G RAM, 500G SSD (though IIRC i does not fit the 8mm ones).

Thomas