Laptop Recommendations

James McLean james.mclean at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 11:29:25 CST 2017

Hi Piers,

I run Arch full time on a Dell XPS15 9560, and it's fantastic. Wayland and
Gnome3 didn't even need manual configuration for the 4k display.
Hibernation works perfectly, touch screen is perfect, 4k display is
incredible. I haven't used Bluetooth on it yet but it's all detected and
gnome knows about it, so I don't expect any real issues.

The only downside is that the Nvidia card needs to be disabled, that's not
a problem unless you're gaming, plus it improves the battery life.
Touchscreen can be disabled too for even more battery life savings.

I've been getting 6-8hrs from a charge while coding / browsing.

The killer wifi card has been known to cause issues on some networks, but I
haven't had any problems. A replacement Intel card is $30, DIY install if
you have any issues.

Some kernel boot flags are required but that's not really an issue.

Cannot recommend it highly enough.

Downside : build quality and the feel of the trackpad is nowhere near a
Macbook Pro (it's excessively sensitive on the XPS). It feels cheap
compared to the MBP.

Cheers