New STEM Project for low-engagement students

Robert Hart robert at hardhack.org.au
Sun Feb 5 10:26:04 CST 2017

Thanks Kim,

That's very interesting indeed, as you know I'm crazy about building
stuff and have lots of ideas for different projects/devices they can
build, but I feel it's even more important to tap into real things that
are happening out in the community.

I often work with students who have very challenging behaviors and their
families often have very limited resources, so school for many is the
only place they can do something positive or different. I'm very keen to
tap into community groups and businesses for interesting/alternative
activities that show disadvantaged students doing positive and high
status activities. Particularly to counteract the usual negative media
bashing this community is known. As I feel strongly good self-esteem and
promoting positive images can go along way to changing lives and how the
rest of the community view them.

There are some interesting sensors around and can be made to fit in with
the science curriculum in year 5 to 7 particularly - funny I'd been
looking at theses devices recently https://www.sparkfun.com/categories/146

Carbon Monoxide and Methane levels would be interesing

Also Cosmic Rays and/or gamma radiation, my specialty :) as you know.

Regards

Robert