Apache Sendmail PHP - logging where it breaks

Piers Rowan piers.rowan at recruitonline.com.au
Wed Oct 30 09:23:47 CST 2013

Hi there,

I have a bunch of clients and servers all configured with Mail /
MailMIME PHP Pear libraries. These are used on a daily basis 1,000's of
times to do stuff. One of the tasks is to send PDF statements. In this
case the code executes and then passes back a list of recipients which
is echoed to the screen. (Ergo no errors happen [and if
(PEAR::isError($mail))  doesn't pick up anything either])

Whilst this works on the dev server and for other clients I have one
client that it does not work for. I've echoed the filesize($pdf) to the
screen and there is definitely something there. The code runs and no
email arrives. Hunting through the logs (apache error_log, syslog,
mailog) I see nothing. Its like the email message was never created of
attempted to be sent.

To recap - this is used all the time, no error is returned no message
appears for this one function in one PHP controller/page

The only difference about this install is the .htaccess file line:

php_admin_value sendmail_path "/usr/sbin/sendmail -fsome at address.com -t -i"

They send hundreds of invoices each week so I don't think its that.

Whilst I'm not asking you to do my homework I would appreciate
suggestions as to how to catch this error in a log or other advice.

Cheers