Help with information about demand for Linux certifications?

David Robson david.robson at dtst.com.au
Wed Oct 30 09:10:00 CST 2013

We occasionally take in work experience kids and we find them quite adaptable. Teaching while their minds are a little more "elastic" is perhaps the key.

Windows kids continuing in that path are in for a shock when they find the latest server products are heading back to the command line (surprise!) in significant ways.
I have overheard a few Windows Admins complaining "…they want us to use powershell…". I try not to giggle.

As an employer I think certification has value in setting a benchmark, as I'm finding disappointing results in people that say the "know linux". We started developing an internal exam to see if we can separate the chaff from the wheat so to speak.

I believe wise IT managers would  prize staff with Linux "familiarity" to the level you mention, as this knowledge means slicing through windows equivalent concepts is more trivial in some ways.
Certainly I have rang the Bigpond help desk to find the staff do not know what DNS is. Not much help if they can't do the basics…. ;-)