Help with information about demand for Linux certifications?

Jackie Brooks Jackie.Brooks at tafesa.edu.au
Tue Oct 29 16:57:45 CST 2013

Thanks everyone for some really good food for thought

The audience are students who are doing a Certificate IV in Information Technology Networking in a VET organisation.

The majority of the students have never used Linux before so we normally just cover the basics and some networking (basic Apache, BIND, NFS & dare I say Samba)

The 'Windows kids' normally struggle quite a bit with using the command line as these days everything is point and click but there is usually one student per class who has a natural aptitude for Linux and excels in the subject.

For their skill level most will find employment in entry level support roles and we find that very little students want to obtain a certification in any of the disciplines.

Perhaps I should have started with what Linux distributions are being used out there in industry and start from there :)