Help with information about demand for Linux certifications?

Gaggl, Leo leo at brightcookie.com.au
Tue Oct 29 15:18:13 CST 2013

Interesting topic. Apart from agreeing with both Tomasz & Paul on what has
been said so far I would add

a) the whole "Industry Certification" - or the less commonly used (but more
telling) term of "Vendor Certification" reeks more like corporate
profiteering (for both Vender and Certifying Body) and Vendor Marketing
rather than any effective quality control measure. Having participated
personally on some of the early components of such schemes, these days I
would actually hold too many "certificates" against that individual. All it
shows me is that more time is spend on collecting certificates than
innovation on the actual job.

The answers on this Stackexchange thread might be helpful:
http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/44/are-certifications-worth-it

b) the concept of a portfolio of past work and experiences is I think what
would be much more useful. As Paul mentioned an active committer to OS
projects (Github, Ohloh, ...) or an active social media presence in areas
of expertise is what I look for in those areas.

>From an employers point of view the only positive thing that a
Certification would tell me is that the person is willing & capable to deal
with bureaucracies and can stick to a goal. Other than that I would not
base much emphasis on it. Demonstrable experience and references would be
more crucial.

>From a Students perspective the question might be what kind of a job do you
want. If you are aiming for some Government IT Admin job or getting into a
large Corporate IT Silo these pieces of paper are some kind of entry-level
sacrifice you have to make to the CIO gods so they can make a tick in the
compliance column. But for SME or Startup they would be largely irrelevant.

A good educational basis (be it VET or Tertiary) in a Computer Science
related subject is another story though.....

Cheers,
Leo

*Leo Gaggl
*