executing programs from a web page

Daniel O'Connor darius at dons.net.au
Wed May 8 15:39:36 CST 2013

On 08/05/2013, at 15:04, Jaroslav <jardakau at internode.on.net> wrote:
> I am looking for an answer (preferably simple) to the following questions:
>
> 1) Can I (and how to) execute a program from a web page (say, in html or
>   javascript)?
> 2) If yes, can I (and how to) pass input data to this program and also
>   to incorporate the output into the web page?
>
> Here I assume that the program to be executed is on the host (server) of
> the web page. In the first instance, the host is my (linux) computer and
> I am opening the web page html file as a file in firefox.
> As an example for question 1), I have a script file which makes a
> noise (plays a tune) and I want to invoke it by clicking a link or
> button in the web page.

What is the actual problem you are trying to solve? (vs asking how to do what you think is the solution).

You can't run a program on the computer viewing the web page unless your relax a lot of security safeguards (basically impossible on modern browsers), or use IE & ActiveX.

You can run a program on a server - ie a CGI script. This can be incorporated into the web page in a number of ways (eg Javascript, IFRAME, etc).

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum