Email Support Ticket Server - pref web interface

John Edwards jaedwards at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 08:20:17 CST 2012

On 03/07/2012, at 10:52 PM, Mike Trewartha wrote:

> In my last months at Adam Internet I implemented OTRS (open ticket request system) which is a perl based ticketing system strongly focused on the ITIL framework. It is very feature rich and customizable. It can connect to a mailbox and process emails as tickets, and assign them to staff for actioning. Or you can provide a portal for customers to connect to to create tickets.

OTRS is a good system for features, although it was something of a moving target when I tried it - frequent version upgrades, interface changes and outdated packages (this looks to have been addressed now, at least for RPM) made it difficult to maintain, especially when using plugins or 3rd-party modules. The web interface was also kind of slow.

RT doesn't look like a good choice, but its long heritage means that someone has probably solved your problem before, or even written a book about it. It's practically a de-facto standard for ticketing.

> (P.S. John, a heavily customized Total ISP was still running when I left too :P )

:) Billing systems have a way of hanging around indefinitely - be sure to look for a ticketing system that can integrate with billing.

John