Linux-Powered Christmas Lights display

Geoffrey D. Bennett g at netcraft.com.au
Thu Dec 16 01:49:29 CST 2010

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 11:00:21PM +0800, Gerald wrote:
>    Even plays a song, nice :)

Yes, the lights are choreographed to music.  It takes a few hours per
minute of music to do the sequencing, which is why we only have 3
songs finished so far :-).  Hopefully we'll have at least one more
done by the end of the month!

For those who missed my talk, I wrote a Perl script which reads a file
containing stuff like:

  +2 colour red flash BT,DT,DTS

("2 beats later flash the big tree, driveway trees and driveway tree
stars red...").

and combines it with another file which maps symbolic channel names to
physical channel numbers:

YPF: Yellow Portico Front
ALL, Y, YP, YPF15: 02 71

and produces an output file containing lines like this:

466243 "'4 010003f 011003f 027103f 028C02f 029A02f

That's got the timing information and commands that are to be sent to
the Arduinos by the MP3-playing program.

Have fun,
Geoffrey D. Bennett, RHCE, RHCX               mailto:g at netcraft.com.au
Senior Systems Engineer                          sip:g at netcraft.com.au
NetCraft Australia Pty Ltd        http://www.netcraft.com.au/geoffrey/