New here and a programming problem

Daryl Tester dt-linuxsa at handcraftedcomputers.com.au
Thu Dec 9 06:44:36 CST 2010

(* Warning - pre-coffee *)

On 08/12/10 19:37, l m wrote:

> Currently, there is no set time for the updates - I just have a while
> loop cutting sick recieving (serial), reconstructiong and printing
> the variables.. Every way I try, it winds up being ummm.. blinky?
> flashy!!?

Without knowing specifically why you're getting this effect (and perhaps
the way ncurses is being used may be the reason why), or knowing the rate
of updates, perhaps you could delay the refresh by half second or so
after receiving an initial update in order to batch the updates and not
be continually repainting the screen. ncurses, however, should only be
refreshing those parts of the screen that's changed, so it may be
worthwhile to run script to capture the output of your program and check
that it's really only doing that, and not something like clearing and
rewriting the whole screen on every pass.

> I am hoping there are a couple of other embedded programmers out there
> who have come across this,

I don't see this as being specific to embedded systems.

--
Regards,
  Daryl Tester

"It's bad enough to have two heads, but it's worse when one's unoccupied."
  -- Scatterbrain, "I'm with Stupid."