lowish power linux box suggestions

Christopher Yeoh cyeoh at ozlabs.org
Fri Nov 6 08:43:21 CST 2009

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 02:47:14 +1030
"Phil Tann" <phil at philtann.com> wrote:
> Have you considered a SSD for your OS drive and have the storage
> drives spin down when idle?  This is how my home server is set up
> (you will need a decent raid card to control the storage drives
> though is the only catch.

Have thought about it - have you done any quantative measurements on how
much power you save using an SSD? This review although its a bit old
seems to imply that you won't necessarily save much at all:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/01/ssds-save-battery-power-right-wrong/

I think for a low power front end an ssd would be handy to get really
fast boot times, though if consumption is ~5W like with a FitPC I'd
probably just leave it on :-)

Chris

cyeoh at ozlabs.org