3g bigpond toaster maxon bp-3

Chris Bennett chris at cgb1911.mine.nu
Wed Feb 18 08:29:38 CST 2009

Hi there,

> you could try
> http://quozl.linux.org.au/bp3-usb/

I think it will "just work" in Ubuntu 8.10 without any changes to the
system... :)

Prior to connecting:
  root at kim:~# ls -la /dev/ttyUSB*
  ls: cannot access /dev/ttyUSB*: No such file or directory

After connecting:
  root at kim:~# ls -la /dev/ttyUSB*
  crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 2009-02-18 08:18 /dev/ttyUSB0
  crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 1 2009-02-18 08:18 /dev/ttyUSB1
  crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 2 2009-02-18 08:18 /dev/ttyUSB2

dmesg output
  usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
  usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
  usbserial: USB Serial support registered for generic
  usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
  usbserial: USB Serial Driver core
  usbserial: USB Serial support registered for GSM modem (1-port)
  option 1-1:1.0: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
  usb 1-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0
  option 1-1:1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
  usb 1-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB1
  option 1-1:1.2: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
  usb 1-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB2
  usbcore: registered new interface driver option
  option: USB Driver for GSM modems: v0.7.2

/dev/ttyUSB1 is the 'modem' you address by any dialing tools

Phone number to dial is ATDT*99# (which can be gleaned from the above
quozl.linux.org.au link).

Tools you can use to configure this modem & PPP connection:
  gnome-ppp
  knet
  kppp
  pppconfig
  wvdial

I don't use network manager, so I can't offer any advice on whether it
can configure the PPP interface and perform dialling functions.

Good luck :)

Regards,

Chris Bennett (cgb)