Network Monitoring System

Kim Hawtin kim.hawtin at adelaide.edu.au
Mon Feb 16 12:56:49 CST 2009

Grant Petch wrote:
> I've been considering some sort of network monitoring system for one of my
> clients, which has Ubuntu Server running as a proxy, firewall & gateway
> server, 3x Windows XP PC's & the majority of the PC's are running Ubuntu
> Desktop 8.04LTS.
> Currently I have been looking into Nagios - but their compile from source
> code is rather scary for someone like me who has minimal commandline skills,
> hence is there something that just works out of the box to speak of that
> would be nice and simple to setup, configure, etc.?
> Where I am coming from is that I have some spare hardware floating around,
> not to menion a couple of complete PC's, one of which could become some sort
> of dedicated system that could be used as a dedicated network monitoring
> system, the systems in question is a P3 500MHz, 64MB SDRAM (this can be
> upgraded to more) & 10GB Hard Drive, the other far better system is a
> Pentium 4 2.8GHz, 512MB DDR RAM (this too can be upgraded to more) & 40GB
> Hard Drive.
> Perhaps is there a distro with network monitoring already on it that will
> just work out of the box?  I am not after it to do overly complicated tasks,
> basically to just provide me with some further information about the
> network, so that it can be managed more efficetively & efficiently.
>
> Any ideas on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Lots of cool stuff here, including a bit of a time line of different tools;
  http://www.slac.stanford.edu/xorg/nmtf/nmtf-tools.html

I've used mrtg, RRDTool, bigbrother, opennms, cricket, nagios and a bunch of others.

Nagios has been the best tool for the job for me, but graphs are/were not
so much fun to setup. You'll have to do some perl, bash, C or python coding to
get monitoring for things they don't do by default. Nagios has a large library
and a support forum...

Maybe cricket is all your need, with pretty graphs, if you just want to monitor
availability, ping times'n'stuff?

cheers,

Kim
--
Operating Systems, Services and Operations
kim.hawtin at adelaide.edu.au