(HELP!) Cisco switch configuration

Andrew Galdes andrew.galdes at vivopharm.com.au
Tue Feb 10 09:56:24 CST 2009

Hi David,

If you can log into it, try running this command "Switch> show power
inline".   As the ">" indicates, you don't need to be in Enable
(Administration) mode. It will give you output showing the state of
your ports and how much power is being used and available on each port.

Then to activate the POE on a port. Make sure you are in Enable mode.
As the example below shows:

Switch>en
Switch(config)# interface fastethernet0/1
Switch(config-if)# power inline auto

The above will change you to enable mode (for which you need the
enable secret/password) and then move into interface FA 0/1. Then set
the POE mode to auto. But instead of typing in "auto" try a "?" which
will show you all the possible modes. I don't have a switch to test
this on though.

Ta,
-Andrew G