[EEE] How to move the right Shift key

Ian ilox11 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 00:02:55 CST 2008

Now, this is for the EEE but perhaps the technique could be helpful if
anybody else has a system with keys in the wrong place.

This is also for DSL and any others that type fast and expect keys to
be in a certain place.


For those wondering what I'm talking about (me too);
"If you're used to typing on a full-size keyboard, in many countries
(at least, those using the qwerty layout) you'll find that the right
Shift key is next to the / key. But on the Eee PC, the right Shift key
is located one key further to the right. Because the Up key is located
on the Eee PC where you'd expect to find the Shift key, you may find
as you are typing that any time you go to capitalize a letter that you
type with your left hand (e.g. an A), instead of capitalising the A,
you instead move your cursor up a line and end up inserting an 'a' in
the middle of some other word. Frustrating! You may decide you'd like
your layout to be more like your full-size laptop. Here's how to do

This key assignment tool swaps the keys around and then the howto
shows how to shift the keytops to match the new assignment. Nifty.

PS: Because of the flood of EEE related topics I thought it was
appropriate to give a clue for those not interested in EEE topics to
filter them out hence the Subject line. If others follow this it could
make things easier to keep track of these topics. Well I tried anyway.

Cheers, Ian
In the confrontation between the stream and the rock,
the stream always wins - not through strength but by perseverance. H.
Jackson Brown

More information about the linuxsa mailing list