Eee PC: OS? Xandros, Ubuntu or...?

daniel sobey dns_server at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 4 23:11:17 CST 2008

One bad thing is when they first released the eee they
did not release the modified drivers so they where not
complying with the gpl. They did resolve this within a
few weeks so this is not a problem (you can get the
2gb of source from the asus website).

Because of these delays in releasing the source code
the drivers for acpi where not in any of the main
distro's kernels. If you are going to install ubuntu
remember it was made before the eeepc so i have heard
it cannot suspend/resume.
When i get a 2gb or bigger usb drive i am planning on
installing the eeexubuntu distro which has a kernel
with these drivers and a few other tweaks specifically
for the eeepc.

make a backup of your computer before you start with
dd, I ran: dd if=/dev/sda2 | gzip -c9 > BACKUP.gz and
saved the tar to a sshfs mount.

you might need to adjust things like your xorg.conf if
you install another distro so have a copy somewhere
easy to access.

If you don't mind xanderos it is easy to add sources,
xanderos is based on debian etch so you should be able
to install software with apt. just edit your sources
list with: sudo vi /etc/apt/sources.list
then do a normal apt-get update, then apt-get install
appname see
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/addingxandrosrepos