Distro CD required ASAP

Patrick Ernst patrick at aroaustralia.com
Fri Jan 26 20:24:43 CST 2007

Brad

HowtoForge has some great setup notes on various distros by a guy called
Falko. The setups all tend to be around using LAMP plus other bits
necessary for a server. For example:

[quote]
This is a detailed description about how to set up a CentOS 4.4  based
server that offers all services needed by ISPs and hosters (web server
(SSL-capable), mail server (with SMTP-AUTH and TLS!), DNS server, FTP
server, MySQL server, POP3/IMAP, Quota, Firewall, etc.). This tutorial
is written for the 32-bit version of CentOS 4.4, but should apply to the
64-bit version with very little modifications as well... [/quote]

http://www.howtoforge.com/

Enjoy.

Patrick

On Thu, 2007-01-25 at 16:29 +1030, Brad wrote:
> Hi all, this is my first time here as I am just delving into the world
> of Linux.
>

> I found the user group through google when I was searching for
> somewhere to get a linux distro on CD in Adelaide. I am wanting to set
> up an un-used PC as a Linux Server which I can install Apache, PHP and
> MySQL onto. I build websites and I want a local testing server. I have
> no real idea about linux, only that it is free (well basically) and
> that it seems to be what everyone is using for this particular purpose
> so it must work ok. I am confused as to which Disto would be the best
> one suited to my needs and the easiest one to use without having to
> know too much about the language of linux. So a GUI based Distro would
> be optimal. I have been guided towards CentOS on one of the forums.
> This is pretty similar to Redhat apparently, or is built from the same
> engine (I think). I could download it from the net but it is 4 cd’s
> and  my internet hours are almost up and will not be renewed for a
> couple of weeks. I was hoping to set up this server over this long
> weekend. Would anyone know where I could get a Distro suitable for me
> soon!!. I would very much appreciate any assistance you could provide
> me here.
>

> Thanks in advance.
>

> Brad
>

> --