Updated card - lower resolution

Brian Astill bastill at adam.com.au
Wed Jan 24 16:51:12 CST 2007

On Tuesday 23 January 2007 09:43, Jonathan Wheare wrote:
> Brian Astill wrote:

> > ie nothing's changed - that ignore EDID has been ignored.
> > I tried changing TRUE to true, but it made no difference.
> > I also put Option "*NoEDID*" "TRUE" on XF*^Config, but it
> > made no difference, either.

There's a very good reason for this.  When X is restarted,
xorg.conf is reproduced by ?? (in Ubuntu Dapper using KDE) so all
the editings we tried are removed.  :-(
The screen resolution app in KDE Control Centre does not respond
to a setting of 1600x1200.   :-(

However....
In Dapper/KDE as I have it now, the KDE applicatins menu
contains "Debian" wherein nice "rescue" Gnome goodies reside.
The Gnome screen resolution app DOES work.  Yeah!  :-)

So I'm running at 1600x1200 as I write - no thanks to Ubuntu or
Xorg!  I doubt that this setting will 'stick' through a restart
or reboot, but at least I can call
on  /usr/bin/gnome-control-center to get the resolution I want.

Thanks for all the advice.  I'd love to know what is causing it to
be rejected.   BTW Edgy is worse, but that's a story for the
Ubuntu list.

--
Regards,
Brian