GNOME mount options (rant and request)

Glen Turner glen.turner at aarnet.edu.au
Fri Jan 19 04:02:52 CST 2007

I just trashed a USB stick because GNOME's umount doesn't wait until the
mount is done before removing the icon.  Even Windows and MacOS do that
right.  Grrr.

So I try it from the command line, and the volume hasn't been mounted as
user, so I can't umount it.  Grrr.

And the SELinux context of the files on the USB stick are wrong -- it uses
the same context as user objects, thus trusting the data on the USB stick
even though it could have come from anywhere.  Let me try this
  cp /media/USBSTICK/lls ~/bin
WTF does that work?  lls could "rm -rf /" the next time I make a typo.
Didn't we learn from floppy viruses, wasn't the most worrying root kit last
year distributed on CDs?  Grrr.

So now I want to set the "-o flush" option when the drive is mounted,
that will stop the data going to the USB drive hanging about in cache
until the umount.  And I want to set the removable device SELinux
context.  But the mount options for files aren't in the GUI
(odd since the options for CDs, cameras and so on are) and I can't
find it in the documentation.

Any pointers?