Second Post

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Wed Jan 10 09:44:27 CST 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 18:50 +1030, Thomas Sprinkmeier wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 13:29 +0900, Alex Bergin - AKB wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I'm flying over from Perth, and this will be my first attendance to a
> > Linux Conference and also to visiting Sydney, I can't wait!
> >
> > Looking at the photo's from the previous few Conferences, a lot of
> > people have notebooks. While I have one now, I didn't a few weeks ago.
> > Are they mainly only required for the Tutorials or ? I guess I'll find
> > out soon enough if no one answers.
>
> It's not really mandatory, unless you really want to do one of the
> tutorials. Last time there were a few desktops around for the OOo tuts,
> but the kernel tute was stricktly BYO.
>
> Note that most tutorials require you to download some stuff beforehand.
> Trying to do so at the start of the tutorial is usually futile.
>
> Be aware of the following:
>
> 1) If it's windows, disable the startup sound. It's evokes a pavlovian
> response that that causes people to descend on you with Linux install
> CD's
>
> 2) By the same token, muttering the magic phrase "if I can't get XYZ to
> work I'll just have to go back to XP" will cause a plethora of willing
> volunteers to appear to help you fix it. This is how I got my wireless
> working :-)

Good practical advice for 1 and 2.  ;-)

> 3) Wireless is a Good Thing! There are usually switches around in the
> common areas, but the lectures tend to be wireless only. Be aware though
> that some idiot always sets up a fake hotspot or two.
>
> 4) Bring an extension cable and/or plugboard to feed your PC. Power
> sockets are always in short supply.

Great advice for 4 - you may not need to use them, but you can bet that
if you didn't have them, you'd run out of power 2 minutes before the
most profound thing you've ever heard was said, and you'd be so
frantically looking for power that you missed it ...

> > Also, is it safe to walk around the streets of the University with a
> > notebook?
>
> Chances are there'll be lots of much nattier laptops around to steal, so
> go right ahead and wander about :-)

This is Australia, not South Africa, so you should be pretty safe.

> > Thanks!
> >
> > - Alex
>

> Thomas

Enjoy
RM
There are II types of people - those who can count like Romans and
those who can't.

Linux Counter user #306629