Second Post

Thomas Sprinkmeier thomas.sprinkmeier at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 08:43:19 CST 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 13:29 +0900, Alex Bergin - AKB wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm flying over from Perth, and this will be my first attendance to a
> Linux Conference and also to visiting Sydney, I can't wait!
>
> Looking at the photo's from the previous few Conferences, a lot of
> people have notebooks. While I have one now, I didn't a few weeks ago.
> Are they mainly only required for the Tutorials or ? I guess I'll find
> out soon enough if no one answers.

It's not really mandatory, unless you really want to do one of the
tutorials. Last time there were a few desktops around for the OOo tuts,
but the kernel tute was stricktly BYO.

Note that most tutorials require you to download some stuff beforehand.
Trying to do so at the start of the tutorial is usually futile.

Be aware of the following:

1) If it's windows, disable the startup sound. It's evokes a pavlovian
response that that causes people to descend on you with Linux install
CD's

2) By the same token, muttering the magic phrase "if I can't get XYZ to
work I'll just have to go back to XP" will cause a plethora of willing
volunteers to appear to help you fix it. This is how I got my wireless
working :-)

3) Wireless is a Good Thing! There are usually switches around in the
common areas, but the lectures tend to be wireless only. Be aware though
that some idiot always sets up a fake hotspot or two.

4) Bring an extension cable and/or plugboard to feed your PC. Power
sockets are always in short supply.

> Also, is it safe to walk around the streets of the University with a
> notebook?

Chances are there'll be lots of much nattier laptops around to steal, so
go right ahead and wander about :-)

> Thanks!
>
> - Alex

Thomas