System z as a Linux and Open Source "Platform Star"

Haarsma, Michael (SAPOL) michael.haarsma at police.sa.gov.au
Mon Jan 8 07:08:56 CST 2007

Hi Richard,

It was 1 MF in, 1 MF in. Then another MF in another MF out. Just
upgrading for capacity/speed, no major OS style upgrades that I know of
(i.e. not os390 to zOS), just zOS versions. Migrating databases/datasets
and DASD info from one MF to another, new Virtual Tape libraries and the
like. Basically a rip and replace, with elegance - no downtime etc.

We actually have RACF sync to Novell eDirectory (LDAP) so we can
automate provisioning etc

RACF between mainframes keep those Mainframes in sync (password wise).
So RACF is still pretty good, I read the new version, has some brilliant
features, one of our MF guys went over to the US late last year for a
RACF 'convention' or some such. I think the RACF has native LDAP and
Kerberos authentication abilities now as well.

Fortunately Identity Manager has a driver just for RACF. We were the
first place in Aust to use it, so we have found 1 or 2 minor bugs, but
over all its pretty 'neet' having the MF horsepower and flexibility on
one end and LAN authentication/auditing/authorisation on the other both
talking is really efficient.

Im not a MF guy (in fact I avoid it as I have enough to do, others can
look after it as that's their job and they are far better at it than me
:)) but its certainly growing on me.

Info provided above is common knowledge within many government agencies,
contractors and other personnel. Anything more in-depth and your outta
luck im afraid.

I still want to move it all over to Linux though :D The IST director
here just laughed at me :)  I'll talk him around ;)

Cheers,

Michael

The information contained in this message and any attachment is
confidential and may also be the subject of legal, professional
privilege or public interest immunity. If you are not the intended
recipient, any use, disclosure or copying of this document and or its
attachments is unauthorised. Please advise us by reply and then delete
it from your system. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of
the author and do not necessarily represent those of SAPOL