options for larger text in xterm

Michael Cohen michael.cohen at netspeed.com.au
Sun Jan 7 11:04:48 CST 2007

Samuel,
  if you read the xterm manual you will find:

font (class Font)
               Specifies the name of the normal font.  The default is ‘‘fixed.’’

               See the discussion of the locale resource, which describes how this font may  be  overrid‐
               den.

               NOTE: some resource files use patterns such as
               *font: fixed

               which are overly broad, affecting both
               xterm.vt100.font

               and
               xterm.vt100..utf8fonts.font

               which is probably not what you intended.

and then font1, font2 etc.

These are xresources which must be set in ~/.Xdefaults. So you can use xfontsel
to choose a nice font and then create a .Xdefaults with for example:

xterm*font: -*-*-medium-r-*-*-24-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

A little bit of experimentation is required to choose just the right font. You
should be able to set the fonts in all other xtoolkit apps by using various
resources. I am not sure if you can just wild card all apps at once (*font maybe?).

Michael.