Linux in remote communities

Novensiles divi Flamen noven at sincorp.org
Fri Sep 29 04:50:24 CST 2006

Okay Janet, sort of pressed for time but I can give you a basic rundown of my
activities. Let me know if you need further data, might take a few days
though.

Marree RTC:
Location - Marree, SA. Affected one small town and the surrounding stations
Purpose - the Marree RTC provides internet and computer access to a very
disadvantaged community and the tourists who travel through it.
Problem - Terrible network setup, no security, hideous bandwidth management
and no trainined staff.
Project - Set up a Smoothwall firewall, incorporating HTTP and DNS proxy and
ad filtering. This provided perimiter security as well as drastically
improving the actual speeds for the end users.
Additionally network documentation was created {network map, hardware audit,
basic management protocols} and basic network management training was
provided to the staff.
Cost - a greatly reduced fee, paid for by the local Progress Association.
Status - Completed

Copley Community Net Cafe:
Location - Copley, SA. Affected one small town and the surrounding stations
and Aboriginal communities
Purpose - To provide internet and computer access to the remote community.
Problem - no existing infrastructure, very low technical literacy
Project - Create a network initially consisting of 8 computers running Ubuntu
and protected by a Smoothwall firewall. Plans to increase the number of
machines over time. Basic technical training will be provided to some people,
and a 'homework club' set up based around the technology
Cost - Building funded by a grant to restore the community hall. This project
uses one room of the building. Computers provided at very low cost by
WorkVentures ConnectIT with the help of a grant from CBSA. Labour provided
free, with some hours covered under my normal employment by the Aroona
Council.
Status - Grant and building secured, computers sourced, awaiting my return
from overseas to implement.

{And in case Indonesia counts}
Satunama IT Upgrade:
Location - Sleman, a village on the outskirts of Yogyakarta. Directly affects
one organisation {USC-Satunama}, who in turn affects rural communities across
the country.
Purpose - a Community Development / Education / Pro-Democracy organisation
Problem - Woefully inadequate IT system run almost completely on pirated
software.
Project - Upgrade the entire organisations IT infrastructure. Some hardware
upgraded, all desktops shifted to Kubuntu, servers shifted to a mix of
Ubuntu, Gentoo and Smoothwall. Local IT tech trained up, all users given
basic Linux and OpenOffice training, organisational IT policy documents
created.
Cost - Jointly funded by USC-Satunama and Australian Business Volunteers
Status - Desktop rollout 90% complete, servers 80% functional, documentation
in final draft form. Project ends on the 14th of November but is expected to
be completed ahead of schedule.

- Noven