Log file out of control

Brian cabernet at webshield.net.au
Tue Sep 26 21:53:58 CST 2006

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 02:27:50PM +0930, Brian wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 12:56:13PM +0930, Arthur Marsh wrote:
> > Brian wrote, On 2006-09-25 12:42:
> > >This morning my system announced that it had no more room to do any
> > >processing. Upon investigation I found a huge .xsession-errors file.
> > >Nothing I do seems to stop this file from growing adinfinitum. At first I
> > >thought it was arts, then something else, etc etc. Any ideas how to tackle
> > >this. Kernel is 2.16.7.8 on Suse 9.2 kde 3.5.2
> >
> > Known problem with gamin.
> >
> > do rm ~/.xsesssion-errors
> >
> > edit /etc/gamin/gaminrc and add:
> >
> > none /var/log/*
> > fsset ext3 notify
> > fsset ext2 notify
> >

> > Then kill the gam_server process, which will automatically restart.
> >
> > It just drove me nuts and there wasn't much information findable about it.
> >
> > Arthur.
>
> I don't seem to have any of the gamin files on my system :(
>
> Brian

Just to tidy up on this. The solution was to search again on one of the
terms in the log. Although the search results were many and varied, one of
them referred to the Powersave Daemon. This prompted me. I had made some
changes to these settings recently. The .xsession-errors returned to normal
logging once I had revised my Powersave settings in Yast.
Brian