FC5 i386 or x86_64 which way to go?

Darryl Ross bofh at afoyi.com
Fri Sep 22 07:05:19 CST 2006

Allan wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 01:08, quixote8 wrote:
>> your machines are both 32 bit. So 64 bit is not relevant for your
>> hardware. regards
>> harry
>
> Thank you to all the people who responded.
>
> The main reason I gave the x86_64 any thought at all is to the fact that
> it seems silly (to me) to still downloading an OS for an i386, when it
> has been outdated for (I think) more than a decade. That begs the
> question: How likely is it that a 386 could run any version of fedora
> core, let alone 5?

Well, if the Fedora project were to compile the packages for a 386, then
yes, it would probably run (if you could get enough RAM in the machine).

In the IT industry, when we talk about "i386" we are talking about the
family of CPUs that have descended from the 386 chip, not the 386 chip
itself.

Regards
Darryl