ACS master student -member needs our help with research on NAT

Peter Griffith pgriffit at senet.com.au
Fri Sep 15 04:52:15 CST 2006

Reply from Ying

Hi Peter - thank you for your question. This is typical question for this
research. Actually, what you said is totally true. For individual company,
NAT is economic and easy to manage. However, the fact is the IPv4 will be
retired between 2011-13 as the address will dry out. According to the data
on hand,  people are really satisfied with NAT. therefore, they may
reluctant to give up NAT, change to IPv6. if we do not persuade them to
change and let the IPv4 growing, it is hard for us to change at 2011 or
2013. This is likely happen as the situation that, you know there is a gear
broken in your gearbox, but you can add more oil to make it run temporally
good. As the time going, the other gears will be damaged and then you need
to change a new box .

Yep, the research is kind of you say that compare with cost with static IP
allocation. The idea of this research to find out weather people would give
up NAT and move to IPv6, and potentially want figure out how much we
spent/waste on NAT (this is not going well in this research since I do not
believe people give true figure in the survey). Is it clear? Welcome
comments.

Thank you for posting the query for me.

 Cheers

 Ying