Content Management Systems

Andrew Reid andrew.reid at plug.cx
Thu Sep 14 14:21:05 CST 2006

On 14/09/2006, at 7:56 AM, David Lloyd wrote:

>> Once in production, the database will need to be SQL Server. The
>> content will be entered by secretary-types, so a WYSIWYG editor
>> will make life easy, but what is also important is the ability to
>> put images and media into the content.
>
> What do you mean by "SQL Server"? Does that actually mean MICROSOFT
> SQL Server?

Yes, that's right. It's quite common for Microsoft SQL Server to be
referred to as "SQL Server" on its own -- it's a widely deployed
relational database in enterprise environments.

In case you're wondering (because I know where you're coming from --
"a Microsoft database?!"), the data will need to live in SQL Server
because we've got other applications reliant on SQL Server which has
led us to invest in backup and recovery software that integrates
nicely with it.

And, frankly, I'd just about prefer to manage a SQL Server database
on an ongoing basis than MySQL. It's integrated into my backup
system, my staff know how it works and it doesn't (read: hasn't
yet :-) fallen into a heap. And I'm confident enough in our DR
procedures to know that when it does crap itself (because Murphy's
Law says it will), we can pull something together in a matter of
minutes.

    - andrew