Fun with GRUB and NTLDR

Alphax alphasigmax at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 05:41:29 CST 2006

Robert Golding wrote:
> On 6/12/06, Alphax <alphasigmax at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ok, since I have no idea how GRUB works, despite reading the man
>> pasge... what's that going to do, and how do I install it?
>>

> This is the GNU Grub manual site.  Very extensive, much more so than
> the man page.
> < http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/index.html >

<snip>

Ok, thanks.

>> Also, you wrote:
>> > Actually I got that a little wrong.
>> >
>> > Install grub image to (hd0,0) and don't bother with "map".
>> //snip
>>
>> Won't that destroy the MBR on hda? I plan to use NTLDR with a file...
>>

> It adds it to it.  MS will overwrite any MBR info, Grub (legacy) is
> more friendly :-)

Er... windoze XP regards /nothing/ as "friendly", hence the decision to
use NTLDR.

> I don't know much about the NT loader, I only used it once, some time
> ago, for loading multiple Win type env's.  I do remember though, it
> didn't like OS2-Warp, very hard to get working properly, so I figure
> it probably won't like other non-MS OS's either.

Wrong. NTLDR can load a non NT-based operating system given the
appropriate boot sector in a file.

See, this is the sort of thing which makes people get frustrated about
the Linux community. They ask "How do I do A using B" and they get told
"Do C using D" instead.

So, back to my original question:

## /etc/fstab
/dev/hdb1	/boot		ext3	acl,user_xattr		1 2
/dev/hdb2	/ 		ext3	acl,user_xattr		1 2
## <snip>
/dev/hdb5	swap		swap	defaults		0 0

## /etc/grub.conf
root (hd1,0)
install --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 /grub/stage1 (hd1,0) /grub/stage2
0x8000 (hd1,0)/grub/menu.lst
quit

## /boot/grub/device.map
(hd1)	/dev/hdb
(fd0)	/dev/fd0
(hd0)	/dev/hda

## /boot/grub/menu.lst
## YaST2 comments everywhere snipped
## color stuff snipped
default 0
timeout 8
gfxmenu (hd1,0)/message

title SUSE LINUX 10.0
 root (hd1,0)
 kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb2 vga=0x317 selinux=0 resume=/dev/hdb5
 initrd /initrd

title Windows
 chainloader (hd0,0)+1
## EOF

Now, I'm confused about the existence and contents of /etc/grub.conf and
/boot/grub/menu.lst - which will take precendence? Which will be
installed? How do I install it? HELP!

--
                Alphax
        Death to all fanatics!