Stupid filesystem idea

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Tue Jun 28 22:43:28 CST 2005

On Monday, 27 June 2005 at 23:17:34 +0930, Glen Turner wrote:

> I'm looking at filesystems which do sequential read/write well for
> massive file transfers.  I had the following stupid thought.
>
> Why not a stupidfs which directly maps a file onto disk blocks.
> eg:
>     filesystem_offset = file_offset + 4KB.

Because it's not a file system?

> Sure it could only contain zero or one files, but with LVM even that
> isn't as bad a limitation as it first appears for massive file
> transfers (where the partition usually only contains one file
> anyway).

You have this already.  Just write directly to the partition.  And
yes, the idea is frequently useful.  I often write tar images to raw
partitions.

> Interestingly if we reserve the first block then the metadata for
> the file/filesystem can be maintained.  I think this solves a lot of
> POSIX compatibility problems.

If you have only one file in the partition, you don't need any
metadata.

Greg
--
The virus contained in this message was not detected.