Fedora and Reboot

Robert Golding robert.golding at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 01:12:38 CST 2005

On 6/15/05, Glen Turner <glen.turner at aarnet.edu.au> wrote:
> Trevor Tregoweth wrote:
> > Has anyone had any problems doing a reboot from the command line, of
> > Fedora 3.
>

> Not me.
>
> > When I do one, it goes through the process, and then just sits there and
> > does nothing,
> >
> > anyone with any ideas
>
> First thing -- do it from the console.  That is, Alt+Ctrl+F1,
> login and /sbin/shutdown -r.  Now you'll see all the messages.
> You might see a database or soimething take a looong time to
> shutdown.
>
> Secondly, rebooting a PC is hard because there's more than
> one way to do it: ACPI, APM or BIOS.  So boot with noacpi
> and see it that helps.
>
> Finally, log more stuff by editing /etc/syslog.conf and
> altering /etc/sysconfig/init.
>
> --
>   Glen Turner         Tel: (08) 8303 3936 or +61 8 8303 3936
>   Australia's Academic & Research Network  www.aarnet.edu.au
> --
> LinuxSA WWW: http://www.linuxsa.org.au/ IRC: #linuxsa on irc.freenode.net

Just a thought, does it shutdown to turn off OK?  Or is it both it
hangs on? i.e. reboot and shutdown.  I have never trusted the 'reboot'
command, better to use the proper command "#> /sbin/shutdown <-r or
-h> now".

--
Regards,	Robert

..... Some people can tell what time it is by looking at the sun, but
I have never been able to make out the numbers.
---
Errata: Spelling mistakes are not intentional, except that I don't use
spell checkers.  It's too easy to allow the spell checker to make the
decisions and use words that are out of context for that being written
(i.e. their/there, your/you're, threw/through and even accept/except),
not to mention foreign (I'm Australian) English spelling (i.e.
colour/color, socks/sox, etc).