[BUGA] Data projectors: sources, caveats?

Kim Hawtin khawtin at ratbaggames.com
Tue Jun 14 05:02:05 CST 2005

Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> I made a mistake last Friday: I borrowed our company's data projector
> and connected it up to my video system at home.  It's *so* much better
> than a CRT TV that I now find I'm going to have to buy one.  And
> though they're getting a lot cheaper, they still cost Real Money.
>
> I've been doing a bit of googling (yes, you can do that on the same
> display :-) and found a number of suppliers and devices.  So far the
> Panasonic PT-AE700E looks like the best choice: good image, 1280x720
> display (suited to HDTV stuff), quiet.  About the worst thing about it
> is that it generates relatively little light (1000 lumens).  Also it
> seems that Australian Interactive Multimedia are the cheapest
> suppliers.  Of course, it's still a lot of money (about $3,500), so I
> don't want to make any mistakes, so I'm soliciting opinions.  I have
> more considerations at http://www.lemis.com/grog/diary-jun2005.html#10

One thing to check is the bulb life. Some are as little as 500 hours.
Also your usage will influence your bulb life a bit, hot/cold cycle
issues. Check your replacement bulb costs and factor that in to the
expected usage of the project over the expected life of the projector...
(3-5 years)

cheers,

Kim
--
Kim Hawtin : IT Systems Administrator
Ratbag : Level 1 - 176 Pulteney Street Adelaide SA 5000 Australia

This email is confidential for the addressee only and
is subject to copyright where applicable.