LAN & DSL on single nic

Robert Golding robert.golding at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 12:22:56 CST 2005

On 6/7/05, Adam Hawes <adam.hawes at gmail.com> wrote:
> > ifconfig gives;
> >
> > BoxA
> > inet addr:10.1.1.4  Bcast:10.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
> >
> > BoxB
> > inet addr:10.1.1.19  Bcast:10.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
> >
> > Pinging works, both machines show about 0.1ms return.
>
> Then the machines can talk to each other.  All you need is higher
> level protocols to get it to work.
>

> > Now, neither machine has MS, so Samba isn't needed is it?  Is this
> > where I go and look at NFS closer?
>
> Depends on what you want to do... Samba gives a few nice features like
> "authentication" and the ability to browse the network and see what
> machines have file/printer shares.  It also shares printers somewhat
> transparently with the default config.
>
> NFS/AFS/Coda/etc is the go for Unix/Unix sharing.  Dispense with this
> bloated M$ protocol alltogether.
>
> On a side note, how long to Telstra take to answer their after-hours
> numbers? I have been on hold for about 30 minutes now...

> Adam Hawes
> adam.hawes at gmail.com
> If only the good die young, then I'm gonna live forever

Thankyou people,

I couldn't see the trees for the forest, but once I had ping (thanks
Adam & Daryl), it all fell together.

Have setup the printer through Cups with BoxA as Cups Server and BoxB
as client.  Have file sharing via NFS and now reading to see if I can
get the scanner to work across the network.

--
Regards,	Robert

..... Some people can tell what time it is by looking at the sun, but
I have never been able to make out the numbers.
---
Errata: Spelling mistakes are not intentional, except that I don't use
spell checkers.  It's too easy to allow the spell checker to make the
decisions and use words that are out of context for that being written
(i.e. their/there, your/you're, threw/through and even accept/except),
not to mention foreign (I'm Australian) English spelling (i.e.
colour/color, socks/sox, etc).