[BUGA] XML: Missed the boat?

Bevan Coleman blcoleman at iinet.net.au
Tue Jan 18 01:01:05 CST 2005

Quoting Jason Tan <jtan at groundhog.com.au>:

> I see that there are a lot off applciations that are dirven on the
> server side which add a reasonable amount of complexity to the apps when
> they probably don't need to be - except that browser writers have not
> implemented the aprts of HTTP that would allow for writing and
> sysadmins/webmasters have typcially disabled that funtionality - to such
> an extent that virtually no one uses those features - but every one
> installs blogs, phpBB style bulletin boards etc etc which are probalby
> more complex than they need to be.

k, gota now. To a certain point that is true, browsers that only impliment a
subset of the full functionility have resulted in a move from client to server
processing.

Javascript is a good case (or ECMAScript as it more correctly known). Between
incompleate/buggy implimentations, browsers promoting customised extentions
and/or yet to be released versions of ECMAScript it is a wonder that you can
even get "hello world" working :(

And thats assuming it even supported on the browser...

Hence when I use it I always try to insure that the app dosn't really require
it for the base functionality.

But on the other hand... CPU grunt is cheap these days.... a little bit of
reinventing the wheel is not the end of the world.

> But my inital point was that the web is not designed as a read only shop
> front.

Or for the massive amount of Nigian scam emails I'm receiving right now. After
working in finiance processing bussiness there is NO way I'm giving them my
details.....after all I know what I could do with banking details if I was a
crook.

--
Bevan Coleman