linux conf 2005 questions

Paul Schulz pschulz at foursticks.com
Mon Jan 17 00:40:27 CST 2005

Hi Evan,

On Sun, 2005-01-16 at 08:39 -0600, Ryan Verner wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 11:52:32PM +1030, Evan Bourlotos wrote:
> > List,
> > I am considering attendig this year and was after some informatoion.
> > everything in life needs justification (where the boss pays anyway)
> > I was wondering who from the list is attending this year.
> > Also, I read through the various list of speakers but I couldnt see some
> > potentially relevant topics (for me anyway) ie moving to *nix from win32
> > etc.
>
> Hi Evan,
>
> LCA is a technical conference; as a result, you're going to find the talks are
> geared more towards the technical crowd, hence the pleothra of talks on kernel
> hacking, specific discussion regarding development on various Linux-related
> things, et al.
>
> Despite this, at LCA04, we tried to have some less technical talks; one nice
> example was the talk on AOL, which describes real life enterprise use of Linux,
> which I personally found quite interesting and seemed well recieved (it certainly
> was one of the most popular videos).

Don't forget about the BOF (Bird of a feather) meetings.

If 'migration to *nix' is something that you are particularly interested
in, then send a proposal to the organisers. If you do it now, you may
well end up attracting people in a similar position to yourself, who
otherwise may not be attending. (The organisers should provide a
room and a time for you to meet.)

This gives you the opportunity to influence the program for your
own needs, so the conference then becomes something that will
specifically address your needs. Also, should you be aware of 'holes'
in the Linux methodology (ie. if there is some tool missing in the
migration process) you can raise it with the interested parties present.
This includes the various Linux vendors who are there. This the
past this has included IBM, Sun, and Redhat.

In short, if you prepare and know what you want to achieve, linux-wise,
LCA2005 is a good place to start.

Regards,
Paul

ps. I am going!