Asterick VOIP update (Was Asterik 1.0 for Linux)

David Wolverton david.wolverton at internode.on.net
Sun Jan 16 06:53:34 CST 2005

Enough of you have expressed interest in this thread that I hope the rest of
you won't mind my posting this update.

So far, everything is very much still at the research stage and nothing has
actually been purchased.  Said research has revealed that the easiest
soloution (for me) would be to use my existing Aria system (something I was
led to believe was impossible - because an Aria specific soloution isn't
available.)

Providing my infrastructure is able to work with VOIP - the cheapest
soloution - by far - will be to simply add an Asterick VOIP onto my existing
infrastructure.  Towards that end, I have supplied all my system details to
one of our members who works with a Company that makes ports for Asterick
servers - who's prommised to get back to me after determining whether my
system will accept this soloution...  Failing this, it looks like I'll have
to sell my existing system to finance replacing every component from the
phones up.

If my existing infrastructure turns out to be inadequate, I've determined
that the two phones I like the most (within my budget) are the Cisco 7940
series VOIP phone
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/ps1854/index.html and/or
the Cisco 7960 series VOIP phone
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/ps1855/index.html

These two are (to the best of my understanding ) identical in performance
(they even look the same) with the singularly insurmountable (to my use)
problem being that the 7940 only allows a maximum of 2x lines whereas the
7960 allows 6... accordingly I'll most probably be going with the 7960.
Particularly as the 40 is no longer a current model (affecting resell value
for the future - not to mention software upgradability) whereas the 60 has
4x extra lines as well as being more able to be software ugpradable.

Not only that, but the final deciding point for me will be the fact that
second hand prices (I don't have $800 to spare per phone for the 7960) are
only around $100 difference between the two so obviously it makes more sense
to simply bite the bullet and get the 7960's. (I just need to figgure out a
solid way of convincing my wife to part with this kind of cash if that's the
way we have to go.)  *LOL*

If it turns out that our existing phone system is incompatable - the first
step will be to buy and install a single phone and then configured into one
of our spare ethernet ports with its own static IP.  Should our existing
system prove compatable after all, then obviously it'll just be a matter of
investing in the ports to connect the two systems together and having a
tonne of fun getting the Asterick set up/correctly configured.

Either way (compatable infrastructure - incompatable infrastructure) I'll
post another  update when more is known.

Regards,

David Wolverton
david.wolverton at internode.on.net
// "Am I not destroying my enemies when I make
friends of them?" -Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)
if ( $life( $me ) == $null ) { getLife( $me ) || halt }