[OT] Solaris 10 Express

Michael Davies michael at msdavies.net
Wed Jan 12 04:54:07 CST 2005

Wilkinson, Alex said:
>     0n Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 11:12:01AM -0600, Michael Davies wrote:
>
>     >Exactly - I get a closed-source, slow operating system, that's
> optimised
>     >for single vendor hardware (SPARC) with little hope of getting
> anything
>     >fixed that's broken.  Sounds a pretty fair comment for a Linux
> mailing
>     >list :-)
>
> You are wrong. And have obviously not worked in a corporate environment.

I was probably being overly inflammatory :-)

Sun make good reliable hardware, and Solaris has a great record as a
secure reliable OS.  If uptime or scaleability is what you're after then
Solaris on SPARC is not a bad choice, but in the past couple of years I've
seen better bang for buck elsewhere.  And there's always the closed-source
issue[0].  And I'm less impressed with Solaris on Intel[1].

Last year, while comparing a couple of different deployment options, I was
really surprised how good Linux on Dell was.

HTH,

Michael...

[0] Closed-sourceness _is_ an issue.  On another Unix-like close-source
operating system I had very many difficulties trying to find the source of
memory leaks in a TCP stack (which was crucial to meeting a system
requirement :-(  And I remember trying to solve problems in a non-C
compiler which ended up being a problem in a closed-source system lib.
When developing, open source is _such_ an advantage.

[1] Admittedly my experience here is over 12 months old.  Solaris on AMD
might be good - but the prices don't excite me for almost commodity
hardware.

--
michael at msdavies dot net
http://michaeldavies.org/weblog