Asterik 1.0 for Linux

David Wolverton david.wolverton at internode.on.net
Tue Jan 11 13:28:31 CST 2005

> The second thing is the hardware you can use with
> the VoIP network relays. You've got three choices,
> softphone which didn't make the grade in your
> house; a hardphone like the Grandstream or say,
> something more expensive of professional grade
> by someone like Cisco which plugs into an
> ethernet connection on the back of your adsl;
***Providing that I can get some sort of confirmation that the quality is
about as good as POTS - the last one is the option I'm looking at...***
(Connecting the Cisco 7960 VOIP phone directly into ports on my Switch)

> and then there is using an adapter where you can
> plug in a normal phone and the adapter goes into
> your switch.
Same problem I was telling Ryan about.  (I really don't want multiple phones
for multiple purposes scattered throughout my house...  How embarasing to
have to say to a friend "Oh no!  Don't use THAT phone!!!  Use the one next
to it -- and then having to explain... What about being in a hurry and
picking up the wrong phone that's ringing and missing the call?  Bah...
(Too messy imo)

> And this is where Asterix come in. It may sound a
> bit crazy but you can have all of the above an in any
> combination as much as your household network
> can plonk hardphones, softphones, and adaptors
> into a phone network. Sound crazy?
Not at all... (At least not to me)  But then, I've already got a working
Aria PABX. (An older model that can't be upgraded to VOIP unfortunatly or
this convo wouldn't be happening)

> Well its no more so that using Linux for your
> networking at home. And you get the flexibility to
> take over the role that say the Cisco Manager
> program has in configuring their hardphones (like
> the old SP12+) and adaptors (like the venerable
> ATA-186).  These last two guys would probably
> love to run under Asterix. In this way, you could be
> sure that your VoIP in your house is absolutely rock
> solid or approaching the standards Cisco sets in its
> manuals
Ummm...  I just want a combination of analog (answering machine) and digital
(fax) equipment connected to new and second hand VOIP (depending on area of
house) phones to throw calls back and forth to each other and not have
phones that can only be used for one purpose sitting next to others that can
only be used for another!  *LOL*

> But as I read it, your SIPPHONE.COM company
> will demand you buy an adapter or a hardphone
> from them if you want to be anything more than what
> they call a basic customer.
Most Companies *do* require this... But as the following link shows:
http://www.sipphone.com/university/gettingstarted.html - it was SIP Phone
themslves that gave me the idea of using Asterick.

> Be aware that although the SIP companies say
> you need a 64k connection, they are only using
> about 11k, and so you can get by on dialup if
> need be on the road;  it is how you use, or rather
> how the network handles  that 11k is largely the
> problem.
Thanks... But I'm not interested (at this stage) in setting this up anywhere
else but at my place in a static enviornment.  As to pipe - I've got
1500/256 ADSL through the best ISP (imo) in Australia - Internode.

So...  What's YOUR opinion of hardware based VOIP?  Is it worth the hassle?
Is it as good as POTS?  As good as a mobile connection?

Regards,

David Wolverton
david.wolverton at internode.on.net
// "I want to know how God created this world.  I
am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the
spectrum of this or that element.  I want to know
His thoughts; the rest are details." -Albert Einstein
if ( $life( $me ) == $null ) { getLife( $me ) || halt }