Sending alerts to pagers

Daryl Tester Daryl.Tester at iocane.com.au
Thu Jan 6 07:38:35 CST 2005

Chris Foote wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Andrew Reid wrote:

>> Is anybody else here doing something similar, that is, having alerts sent to
>> pagers? How is that being achieved, software-wise, hardware-wise and
>> service-provider-wise?

> Good old quickpage works great:
>  	http://www.qpage.org

I second that - we use it here on production machines (and with the
aforementioned service provider), and swear by it (rather than SMS,
which we swear at, for reasons of missing and late messages).
Telstra used to offer a TAP dialin modem so you could use qpage to
inject messages into their SMS network as well, but I don't know if
it's still out there.

Andrew, one thing SMS has in its advantage is that is a store and
forward network.  If your mobile is off, the network is aware of
that and messages will queue for your phone.  The same isn't true
of pagers (but then, battery life on a pager is a lot longer than
phones).  Having said that, I haven't had any pages go missing,
and I doubt you could get any SLAs with SMS.

> That was under FreeBSD, but I don't see that it shouldn't work just
> fine under Linux as well.

No problems with it under Linux either.

Cheers,
  --dt