Fedora Core 2, ATI issues

Ryan Verner xfesty at computeraddictions.com.au
Wed Jun 30 14:50:27 CST 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 00:23, Burge wrote:

> The problem exists due to ATI writing their drivers for XFree86, when FC2 runs Xorg. flgx_gears won't run due to the card not being found. fglrxinfo says that the mesa3d drivers are installed... shouldn't this read ATI instead?

Hmm, you're probably using the Xorg drivers; only 2D support (and
primitive 3D support AFAIK).  (I believe XFree86 drivers should work on
Xorg; the initial versions are only slightly changed, the project fork
is due to a licensing issue moreso than technological changes).

It doesn't surprise me you're having trouble getting the official ATI
drivers to work, actually.  Redhat/Fedora do strange things to their
kernels and it's quite normal for things like this not to function for
quite a while after a new distro release until the vendor fixes their
problems.

Have you tried the latest drivers from the ATI site?  Considering the
popularity of Fedora, and that FC2 was released some weeks ago, I'd be
surprised if the problem wasn't fixed by now.

Cheers,