Network Backups - Mixed environment Linux, 2000, 2003. XP

Piers Rowan piers.rowan at rowanrecruitment.com.au
Mon Jun 28 00:41:56 CST 2004

Hi there!

I have a need to back up about 30 XP clients and a couple of other
servers. I have a few DDS 3 tape drives handy and a spare server and I
was thinking of putting some big IDE disks in and using MS Backup to
save a copy of the system on the server and write it to tape (from the
to be built Linux / Samba Server). I only intend to do this periodically
to avoid having to completely re-build a client if there are problems.

Another option may be to save disk image files instead of the *.bks
files.

Does anyone have any feedback of images vs. *.bks files, suggestions of
alternate methods or suggestions of good local disk vendors / brands?

Thanks

Piers

Piers Rowan
Marketing Manager
Rowan Recruitment Group

Rowan Executive Consulting
Rowan Technical Recruitment
Extrastaff

Tel: 08 8331 3533
Fax: 08 8331 3658
Mobile: 0418 899 874
Email: piers.rowan at rowanrecruitment.com.au
Web: http://www.rowanrecruitment.com.au

NOTICE:
#######

The contents are confidential and may be protected by legal professional
privilege. The contents are intended only for the named recipient of
this e-mail. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient
you are hereby notified that any use, reproduction, disclosure or
distribution of the information contained in the e-mail is prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please reply to us
immediately and delete the document.