Rebuild Ext2

Richard How richardhow at internode.on.net
Sun Jun 27 15:49:24 CST 2004

> Evening all,
>
> Is there any way to 'rebuild' an ext2 filesystem?
> I think my installer (recently upgraded to fc2) cleared the drive
> geometry from my 2nd drive.
> I don't believe it's been formatted, but I am be wrong.
>
> I've tried a couple of things, one was using fdisk to create the
> partition (as it didn't exist when fdisk -l)
>
> Any ideas would be rad..
>
> Cheers  , Mark.

Yes, this tool is very good.

http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/user/76201/gpart/

The disk partition(s) may be unreliable but the full filesystem can be
recovered and copied safely to a new partitiion. Please let me know if it
works for you so I can notify the author. He likes good news :)

If all works well run fdisk -l and write down those numbers, they can be
so very useful for recovery.

Richard