[OT] Adelaide Bank Online Banking

Steve Pryde linuxsa at pryde-it.com
Fri Jun 25 08:51:29 CST 2004

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 01:59 pm, Andrew Reid wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 12:21:47PM +0930, Brett Hales wrote:
> > Adelaide Bank have recently updated their online banking software. It
> > previously used a Java applet, meaning 90% of the functionality worked
> > on Linux. They have now moved away from the Java applet with no support
> > for Linux.
> >
> > It is about time businesses deploying Internet applications use platform
> > independent technologies.
>
> Why? It's not like your platform represents enough of their business
> for them to warrant giving a damn. Giving a damn costs money, you
> know.

Its not just about supporting only the major platform.  If you're paid to do a
website, testing it with other browsers should be a matter of course, not an
extra - it should be seen as part of the job.  Too many sites are ONLY tested
with IE.  Its like people think IE is somehow standards compliant - and we
know what a joke that is... :-)

There might be only 5% of people using Mozilla or other browsers or OS's but
that's still a lot of people...

Its more about being completely w3 standards compliant than it is about
supporting each browser/OS individually.

Its not _that_ hard to have a website working with all major browsers really.
There's no excuse for being lazy and only testing with 1 browser.

btw, I'm kinda assuming that if it works with mozilla on windows it'll work
with mozilla on linux and with a few exceptions i suppose that's a fair
assumption...

Commonwealth Bank Netbank works fine for me with both mozilla and konqueror
these days so I'm happy :-)

-SP