[NEWS] UK firm patents software downloads

Ian Loxton ilox at netexpress.com.au
Sat Jun 19 10:03:02 CST 2004

In a CompuServe Forum I was given this extra information by a good
friend.

"
 BTG used to be NRDC (National Research & Development Corporation)
 a UK Government organization set up to further the commercial
 exploitation of inventions made in Government laboratories etc.

 << In 1989, the company famously won a £6m battle with the
 Pentagon over technology used in hovercrafts. >>

 They have had some success stories including Interferon and MRI:

 http://www.btgplc.com/about/success1.html

 There's nothing about the story on their website but I suspect
 it's something specialized relating to
 download/updating/patching.

 http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=8919

 is more informative than the Register.

 Hugh Wyn Griffith
 Using Virtual Access OLR on Windows XP Pro build 2600 + SP1
"
Cheers,
 Ian
   "It was as though eternal harmony were conversing with itself,
   the way it may have happened in God's bosom the moment before He
   created the world."
   --- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, on hearing Bach organ music