mailsnarf'ing

Andrew Reid andrew.reid at plug.cx
Mon Jun 7 06:05:19 CST 2004

Just for fun, I've been trying to get mailsnarf (from the dsniff
package) to capture e-mail coming in and out of my local box (i.e.,
mail from the machine mailsnarf is running on).

I'm having a bit of trouble getting the thing to work. I've got
urlsnarf working for HTTP traffic, but I can't get mailsnarf to pick
up the message transmissions.

I've used the command:

  root at kingsley 15:50:38 --> mailsnarf -i xl0 . "tcp"

... but that doesn't get me anywhere. Once running, I start sending
and receiving messages, but despite my best efforts, I can't get the
bloody thing to snarf 'em.

Can anyone offer any clues? I'm running FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE, which,
in itself, may be a clue. However, the fact that urlsnarf works
perfectly makes me think that, perhaps, just perhaps, it's not a
FreeBSD issue.

Are there any successful snarfers out there that could throw me a
bone? Assistance would be grately appreciated.

   - andrew