AUSFTA - time to start doing more

David Newall davidn at rebel.net.au
Thu Jun 3 12:18:27 CST 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 21:42, Michael Davies wrote:
> It's still a silly patent though - physical or virtual, double-clicking or
> long single clicking a button shouldn't get granted as a patent in 2004.

Yes and no.  With limited hardware, which is the rationale described in
the patent, recognising different ways to press a single button does
give you greater expression.  E.g., press the button to play; hold it
down to fast-forward; press it twice in succession, quickly, to skip to
the next track.  If they've got a new idea then a patent sounds quite
fair.  The thing is, my example sounds eerily familiar...