Stupid USB Question

wojingo wojingo at fastmail.com.au
Tue Jun 1 12:34:17 CST 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 16:40, Michael da Silva Pereira wrote:
> plug it in and watch ur /var/log/messages, u will see it,
> u can load it by the following:
> "mkdir /mnt/cam"
> "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/cam"

Hi,

I have also used the following to mount my sony camera as a usb device,

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/cam

however when I mount my sony usb drive(its a 128mb usb drive with a slot
to put a sony memory stick - the ones the camera uses) I have to use

mount /dev/sda /mnt/usb1

to get to the actual drive(128mb), and when I have a memory card in it I
use

mount /dev/sdb /mnt/usb2

to get to the memory stick(16mb/32mb/64mb),

but I'm not sure why this is the case. Can someone explain this to me?

I guess I'm asking what is the difference between /dev/sda and
/dev/sda1?

When I attempt to mount it using /dev/sda1 it asks for the filesystem
type, which i think is FAT, I dont know.

If I mount it as /dev/sda is just mounts without asking for a file
system type.

I'm a little confused by this.

regards
-