Cardbus NIC & Kernel IP Autoconfig / NFS root

Linden lm at marbury.sa.edu.au
Tue Jun 1 04:35:22 CST 2004

Hi All,

I have an older Acer laptop (extensa 500) with a Netgear FA511 cardbus
network card, and I am attempting to make it get its root filesystem
over NFS. I have compiled a 2.6.5 kernel with NFS root support, kernel
level autoconfiguration, PCMCIA/Cardbus support, etc. It works fine
until it gets to the auto configuration part (this is the kernel command
line: "root=/dev/nfs ip=dhcp") - the network card hasn't initialised
yet, and of course the kernel can't see the DHCP server.

The strange thing is, only after VFS has complained that it can't mount
the root fs, the NIC decides to initialise. I have put some extra
printk's in init/main.c to see where the NIC driver (tulip) is
initialised, and it's definitely before IP Autoconfig starts.

On a PC with a PCI network card with a similarly configured kernel, the
NIC initialises in time, so what's going on here? Is it a cardbus
idiosyncracy? Can I fix it without hacking the tulip driver too much?

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. :) I can
provide dumps etc if necessary, but they are out of reach at the moment.

Thanks,

Linden May