Editing userChrome.css

McKenna, Simon (RGH) Simon.McKenna at rgh.sa.gov.au
Thu Jul 22 00:40:45 CST 2004

-=> I have uncommented files before without
-=> problems, but need help with this one.
-=> Nothing seems to work. Is their  and easy
-=> way to do this ?
-=>
-=> Brian
-=> NB naturally I am renaming the file.

Have you tried viewing the text in an editor with code highlighting?

-=> @namespace
-=> url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.on
-=> ly.xul"); /* set default namespace to XUL

You start a comment here...note that there isn't a */ at the end...

[snip]

-=> /*

And then another comment is started at the end?

That won't parse the mustard ;-)

Here's a slight alteration to your example which works fine:

/* ----- Cut below this line ----- */

/*
 * Edit this file and copy it as userChrome.css into your
 * profile-directory/chrome/
 */

/*
 * This file can be used to customize the look of Mozilla's user interface
 * You should consider using !important on rules which you want to
 * override default settings.
 */

/*
 * Do not remove the @namespace line -- it's required for correct
functioning
 */
@namespace
url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"); /* set default namespace to XUL */

#urlbar { font-family: monospace !important; }
#search-container { -moz-box-flex: 300 !important; }

/* ----- Cut above this line ----- */

Also, have you seen this?  http://cdn.mozdev.org/chromedit/

It doesn't have code highlighting, but makes it
a bit easier to get to the config files quickly...

Hope that helps.

peace
si